Saturday, March 8, 2008

When to cancel church?

Yesterday and last night we had about two inches of snow. I got a call around lunch time from a member who has been taking care of our property since I got here. He wanted to make sure I wasn't thinking of canceling church. I'm sure he heard the disbelief in my voice when I said, "no, I hadn't thought of it." Most of the entries to the sanctuary are cleared and it should be above freezing by the time church begins tomorrow. I asked whether anyone around here sold salt and he said the only kind of salt you could buy is rock salt for ice cream. No halite.

I figure the little old ladies won't come anyway. They don't like to come when it's cold (anything below 45 degrees).

So, when do you southerners cancel church? I can see ice storms and if this storm had come through today rather than yesterday, then we probably would have (though I probably would still giggle).

My backyard this morning

Photobucket

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Not a southerner, but a northerner, in a state that gets its share of snow.

I've told folks that, unless the sheriff declares a state of emergency and closes the roads, I will be there for worship on Sunday mornings. That said, the bar is lower for other occasions... midweek programs during Lent, for example. We canceled one of those because of icing. (sounds like a cake, I know). Also, because lots of other churches were canceling as well.

That's my policy. Blessed Easter to you!

Pax, C.