Happy post Thanksgiving avoid the mall day. I'm waiting till it warms up a bit for my run. In other news, I have a leaking roof and I'm leaving for Cleveland today and Ethiopia on Sunday. Won't be back until Christmas. Ugh.
So on to Friday Five--from Songbird who has been making pies--Pies
Please answer these five questions about pie:
1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal? Hmmm no. I suppose I always, usually, sometimes bake a pie. It's bought crust and canned fruit. Now, I'm doing lemon tarts as my fav dessert. It has a shortbread crust and a lemon-cream cheese (really lemony) filling. Much better than pie. I make it like lemon squares, but it is nothing like lemon squares.
2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss. I don't know. I'm trying not to eat sugar any more (or salt either) and so my dessert of choice is lemon tart. (See #1 above)
3) Cherries--do they belong in a pie? I think cherry pie is my favorite fruit pie. Unless it's apple. Or maybe blueberry. Actually as a teen, my favorite pie was a cherry cheesecake make with sweetened condensed milk. It was a popular recipe.
4) Meringue--if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate? Meringue? Are you kidding? The only white stuff that belongs on a pie is real whipped cream. Maybe ice cream in a pinch. Meringue--ugh.
5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie? Chicken pie? Why would you put chicken in a pie?