Friday, November 26, 2010

Friday Five: Pies

Happy post Thanksgiving avoid the mall day. I'm waiting till it warms up a bit for my run. In other news, I have a leaking roof and I'm leaving for Cleveland today and Ethiopia on Sunday. Won't be back until Christmas. Ugh.

So on to Friday Five--from Songbird who has been making pies--Pies

Please answer these five questions about pie:
1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal? Hmmm no. I suppose I always, usually, sometimes bake a pie. It's bought crust and canned fruit. Now, I'm doing lemon tarts as my fav dessert. It has a shortbread crust and a lemon-cream cheese (really lemony) filling. Much better than pie. I make it like lemon squares, but it is nothing like lemon squares.

2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss. I don't know. I'm trying not to eat sugar any more (or salt either) and so my dessert of choice is lemon tart. (See #1 above)

3) Cherries--do they belong in a pie? I think cherry pie is my favorite fruit pie. Unless it's apple. Or maybe blueberry. Actually as a teen, my favorite pie was a cherry cheesecake make with sweetened condensed milk. It was a popular recipe.

4) Meringue--if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate? Meringue? Are you kidding? The only white stuff that belongs on a pie is real whipped cream. Maybe ice cream in a pinch. Meringue--ugh.

5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie? Chicken pie? Why would you put chicken in a pie?

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes! I do remember that cream cheese pie recipe. Delicious memory!

Pastor Joelle said...

TOTALLY agree with you about only REAL whipped cream belonging on pie!

Jan said...

The lemon tarts sound delicious. No meringue for me either; I also prefer whipped cream. Your answer to #5 is funny.

Auntie Knickers said...

Your comment about chicken pie reminded me of Processing Counselor's experience seeing someone eat chicken pudding (yes, it was a dessert) in Turkey.

Unknown said...

Sounds like this was a bad Five for you. Sorry about that.

Margaret said...

Post the tart recipe, please. Our parish bake sale is coming up and that sounds wonderful!!

Joan Calvin said...

The recipe is at http://www.joyofbaking.com/LemonTart.html

I double the filling and add a bit more cream cheese