Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Five

From RevGalBlogPals. I don't know who posted this, but. . .
Jennifer recommended this book, which I got because I always value Jennifer's reading suggestions. The author of Life is a Verb, Patti Digh worked her book around these topics concerning life as a verb:

* Say yes.
* Be generous.
* Speak up.
* Love more.
* Trust yourself.
* Slow down.

As I read and pondered about living more intentionally, I also have wondered what this Friday Five should be. This book has been the jumping off point for this Friday.

1. What awakens you to the present moment?
I have to be really intentional about being present. It usually doesn't just happen for me. So, I try to take time to be present.

2. What are 5 things you see out your window right now?

Green! Green! Green! I see green ferns, the limbs and leaves of a crepe myrtle, I saw a bird when I frist looked out but it was going so fast I didn't see what it was, a holly bush, my back fence

3. Which verbs describe your experience of God?
Verbs, hmmmm. Calm, comfort, aweinspire, heal, gives wisdom
4. From the book on p. 197:
Who were you when you were 13? Where did that kid go?
I'm assuming the book asks us to recapture the person we were at 13. This is not my experience. At 13 I was hesitant, shy, scared, bookish, curious, unsure of myself, wishing I were popular, wishing I were skinny, wishing I didn't live on a farm. So, the hesitant, shy, scared person has mostly gone. The bookish, curious person has remained. I have discovered that I am beautiful, loving, wise, healthy, adventurous, skilled, worthy. I am much happier than when I was 13. I really like who I am at 62. I didn't like who I was at 13 (though she had a whole lot more going for her than she ever imagined)

5. From the book on p. 88:
If your work were the answer to a question, what would the question be?

Not sure. I have a lot of ambivalence about work right now.

Bonus idea for you here or on your own--from the book on p. 149:
"Go outside. Walk slowly forward. Open your hand and let something fall into it from the sky. It might be an idea, it might be an object. Name it. Set it aside. Walk forward. Open your hand and let something fall into it from the sky. Name it. Set it aside. Repeat. . . ."

Have to pick a friend up from the airport. Maybe later.

4 comments:

Terri said...

Ambivalence is an interesting state of being....I'm there myself quite often.

Jennifer said...

I don't think the author is assuming that we wish to recapture who we were at thirteen. Rather, I think she's inviting us to take a look back and think about the journey from then 'til now.
I found it to be helpful with my struggles and ambivalence...

peace to you.

Jan said...

At 13, I was so much like you, except I didn't live on a farm. So glad you're still bookish! Since I'm nearing 60, I love hearing how life is even better in that decade; I know I've liked my life more in my 50's.

Jane said...

Love teh green and sympathise about ambivalence abotu work