Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Five Work Out Edition

As I sit here, looking at the temperature outside (77 degrees, 90 % humidity), the work out edition of Friday Five beckons.

From Mompriest at RevGalBlogPals

1. Do you work out physically, spiritually, or psychologically? (I'll let you define what that might mean to you)
My goal is to work out 6 days a week. This week I'll hit four or five (going canoeing on Saturday, so don't know whether that will count, skipped yesterday). My goal is to run three days a week, bike three days a week and swim a couple of times, plus weights, stretching and Pilates. I try to journal every day and do centering prayer. No, I don't have enough time to work.

2. Are you more inclined to join a gym, or a book club?
Yes. Actually, I am a member of both.

3. Are you more inclined to read self-help books like Gail Sheehy's "Passages" or spiritual books like Richard Rohr or Theresa of Avila? And if so, what is your favorite?
I've pretty much stopped reading self help books. I read exercise books (Running until you're 100 is the last). I'm reading Into the Silent Land by Martin Laird (recommended by Robin at Metanoia) and will be teaching a class on centering prayer beginning in about 10 days. I have no favorite. My real favorites are mysteries, particularly those with female protagonists. I loved the first and third of Steig Larsson's Millennium Trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first.

4. Are you a loyal fan of a sports team? Or do you join the bandwagon when the local team is winning? And, if so, which one?
Yes. My college team and the Cleveland Cavs.

5. Or do you lean more toward having a favorite theologian/Spiritual writer or self help author and if so, who? And, why.
I really don't. I read wide and far. I suppose if one it would be Thich Nhat Hanh.
Bonus: What was the last play-off series you watched and did your team win?
The NCAA Basketball March Madness. Yes, my team won. Go Duke!

OK Now it's time to take the garbage and recycling out and then run.

4 comments:

altar ego said...

I truly wish I could like exercise. I didn't discover until recently that when walking I need to approach the two-mile mark before feeling any sort of endorphin pleasure. Anyway, I admire the pleasure you take in exercise (canoeing--yes!), even if that doesn't leave much time for work!

Terri said...

your exercise these days sounds like mine, except I can't run due to pelvic floor instability with bladder...but I do use the elliptical. And, thanks for the reminder about tich, I do appreciate his writing a lot. It

Mary Beth said...

Inspiring about your regular workouts! I have been there and hope to get back soooooonest.

Jan said...

I am so impressed with your regular exercise. I know I need to commit to that. I'm reading "Into the Silent Land," too! And today was our recycle-pick-up day.