Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Fourth and The Church

I am unduly proud that Rev. Witherspoon, a Presbyterian (and a Scot), was the only pastor to sign the Declaration of Independence. I am unduly proud of the fact that an alleged collateral ancestor was a signer. I am proud to be an American. I know that I am blessed and graced to have been born in this country where freedom is so important. I know that I have been blessed to have been born in a place where gender does not limit (much) who I am and what I do. Almost always at some point in a trip abroad, I look around and know how fortunate I am to be a citizen of the US.

I do not believe that the Fourth of July is a Christian holy day. I do not believe American flags belong in churches. I do not believe patriotic music on the Fourth belongs in church. I believe as Christians our first allegiance is to God as revealed in Christ. I believe that to celebrate the Fourth of July in church is to confuse patriotism with Christianity.

4 comments:

Jules said...

Amen.

(Now what can we do about the argument that to not celebrate Independence Day in the church "insults the poor veterans"? I'm not saying it is a valid argument, just a pervasive one.)

Robin said...

Ay-yep.

Jennifer said...

Amen. Amen.

Rev. Sharon said...

This. Yes. I completely agree.

I can already hear the yelling from certain quarters... but yep.