Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday Five

From Sally at RevGalBlogPals

Prayer is a joy to some of us, and a chore to others, waiting likewise can be filled with anticipation or anxiety....

So how do you wait and pray?

1. How do you pray best, alone or with others?

Being an introvert, I pray best alone. I have been doing centering prayer for 25 years, on and off. It is such a calming thing for me. And I do hear things I'd never hear if I were noisy. Centering prayer in a group is interesting, but for me, for the times I've experienced, not really different.

2. Do you enjoy the discipline of waiting, is it a time of anticipation or anxiety?

Waiting, me wait? I don't wait. When I have to wait, it seems to be neither a time of anticipation or anxiety. I'm just impatient. Not anxious. Just want it done. Just about the only time I am anxious is the night before I travel. As much as I do travel, the anxiety is a mystery to me. Centering prayer.

I was anxious last night, I think; I'm not sure. I had a hard time sleeping. It may have been excitement. My first chemo today.

3. Is there a time when you have waited upon God for a specific promise?

I can't think of any. I have asked for signs. I have received signs. I'm more a rear view window person. I see how things have been looking at them after they have happened. I don't tend to see things as they happen. (I think this is related to the question; maybe not.)

4. Do you prefer stillness or action?

Obvious. Except, I do enjoy sitting and journaling and centering prayer. I want to do! I want to sit in silence! Perhaps that's why I find walking a labrinyth (so, I need to learn to spell) so wonderful. Stillness in action!

5. If ( and this is slightly tongue in cheek) you were promised one gift spiritual or otherwise what would you choose to recieve?

World peace and thin thighs!

The ability to see the realm of God embodied here and the gift of leading others to experience the realm here and now. I see, from time to time glimpses of God's realm here as my favorite priest said, "it's as if the veil is lifted and you see a glimpse of the kingdom as it is supposed to be here."


2 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I honestly don't think I've ever quite understood centering prayer. And I wish I did.

Joan Calvin said...

I'm not sure what you mean by "understood". If you mean in the sense of knowing what it is then books by Thomas Keating might help. If you mean in another sense, I'd be glad to talk with you. You could email me at rebekahroxanna@yahoo.com if you'd like