Monday, June 9, 2008

Anger in Matthew

Yesterday I sat down and read the entire gospel of Matthew. I'm preaching on Matthew this summer and feel like I don't have a good overview of the gospel. I came away with a feeling that Matthew's Jesus is really angry, hostile, irritable. It seemed to me that there were lots of passages where he talks about people being tossed into Gehanna, and he seems really hostile to the Pharisees. I remember studying the Gospel in seminary, but this didn't strike me then. I know that scholars think that Matthew's community was struggling against the Jewish community of which they had been a part (this is not the best way of saying this). I'm going to try to re-read the gospel this week and see if I have the same impression.

The other thing that surprised me was that Jesus quotes Hosea a second time God "desires mercy not sacrifice".

2 comments:

Jules said...

If you had the same NT teacher that I did, that particular scholar is in love with that particular gospel. He might have influenced us a tiny bit.

Now I have to go read the whole thing again, too...

Joan Calvin said...

Actually I had him for exegesis, her for NT. I don't remember what I learned, except I feel like I have a really good handle on Luke but not as good on the others. I took a course from Schneiders on John, so I feel comfortable there, too.