Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Five

From Presbyterian Gal at RevGalBlogPals

1. What was your favorite comic strip as a child?
I can't remember! It's been so long. I think probably Beetle Bailey.
2. Which comic strip today most consistently tickles your funny bone?
An unfortunate consequence of getting my news from the net instead of hard copy is that I don't read the comics. I used to get a few but I think when I moved got out of the habit. I used to read Doonesbury (but it didn't always tickle my funny bone; it made me sad with the truth). I liked For Better or Worse and Dilbert and Cathy.
3. Which Peanuts character is closest to being you?
I suppose Lucy. I am mean, nasty, judgmental and will snatch your football away if you let me.
4. Some say that comic strips have replaced philosophy as a paying job, so to speak. Does this ring true with you?
Since I read neither philosophy or comic strips I can't really say. ;-)
5. What do you think the appeal is for the really long running comic strips like Blondie, Family Circus, Dennis the Menace as some examples?
Again, I can't really say because I don't like those strips. It seems to me they appeal more to my parents' generation than to younger folks (and bear in mind that I'm in my 60s) Since my parents' generation may be the last generation to buy newspapers, then that's probably the reason.
Bonus question: Which discontinued comic strip would you like to see back in print?
Calvin and Hobbes: the greatest strip ever. And the Far Side.

I seem to be a little snarky this morning. Not sure why. Probably because I have more to do than I can get done (memorial service tomorrow; preaching Sunday, messy house I want to clean before my sister comes Monday and of course, not to forget surgery on Tuesday. And the preschool director wants internet and no one else seems to be able to mess around with the routers and I get that job. But I've just said no to any more messing around than I have already done.)

2 comments:

Lori said...

Everybody's entitled to a snarky day or 12. Lord knows I've grabbed more than my share.

I think I need to sent this FF to Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. They both need to come back.

1-4 Grace said...

Totally need to have a snarky dya.
The Far Side were great