Sunday, November 9, 2008

I don't like to admit there are any positive side effects of having cancer. Everytime I hear that good comes of this disease I want to punch the bearer of those particular tidings (and I want to punch the parishioner who keeps reminding me that attitude is the most important thing). But, one thing that has changed is that I'm more sympathetic (or is it empathetic--I can never remember the distinction between those two words) than I was before. I read about people who are dying of cancer and weep. I read about people who have debilitating diseases that will never go away and weep. Life is short and most often just not fair.

3 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

No, fairness is not an applicable adjective.

And those people who harangue you about attitude -- they should be banished to an island far, far away, where they can talk about attitude among themselves to their hearts' content and spare the rest of us their good intentions.

Unknown said...

I'm having a similar reaction to having the chronic illness...

Carl said...

Yeah, I think the disease does make us more sympathetic. I'm finding that, anyway, as I make my pastoral care rounds. Especially if the person has cancer, I feel an immediate bond with them, and have the sense that I'm connecting with them more effectively.

Carl
http://www.cewilton.blogspot.com