Sunday, July 20, 2008

A comment made by all the folks at dinner Friday evening has been bugging me. They don't like the youth director. She does last minute organizing. Her mother helps her a lot. She really can't plan anything and take it to fruition.

In contrast everyone defends the music director who is never on time, is always talking when she should be beginning the service. Took a singing engagement in Texas for Maundy Thursday and Easter (found an organist for Easter, but we cancelled our Maundy Thursday services because we didn't have a pianist). It's just ---. Oh, and she doesn't want to meet with me to plan worship (except on Sundays after church when I really need a nap).

My experience of the youth director is different. She has come up with programming. She took over finding mission projects for us to do during Lent when I was too sick to. She is ready with a children's message.

So, I'm gonna ask the folks at church today why the music director is "just [her name]" and there is a problem with the youth director. Assuming I can find a place to ask the question where no one is around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't musicians almost always get a pass no matter what people will say about them privately?
It's frustrating, but the law of supply and demand advantages them.

Joan Calvin said...

Well, I just don't get it. And I suppose I'm a bit jealous. We pay a supply organist more than a supply preacher. I ask about it and was told, we only have to pay pastors this much; we have to pay organists this much. So, I asked what is most important. Yes, I know the answer. Music is more important.

Unknown said...

It's very discouraging.