Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh, Duh!

I just started The Jesus Way by Eugene Peterson. He's talking about Jesus being the Way, the Truth, the Light. I realize that I have bought into the conservative reading of those words. Peterson says (at least as I read it) that the Way is the Way of Jesus, how he lived. I've always read it as as a gateway, buying into the idea of way as belief. I've always rejected that reading, but it's really nice to have the light bulb go off to see the words in a diffent light. Now off to parse the "through" My OT professor always said the only thing you could really say about prepositions is that they are words of relationship.

2 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

That's so interesting. I don't think I've ever heard or thought of "way" in that context as gateway or opening - but as the path we follow.

Joan Calvin said...

What is sort of bizarre is I understand Dao as a way of being/living; but for some reason my brain didn't apply that to Jesus.