Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Have they always been stupid?

I'm reading Bone by Marian Woodman. Woodman was a Jungian analyst who died of bone cancer in the mid-90s. I was very interested in Jungian stuff in the 90s and went to one of her last workshops. I bought the book years ago and decided to read it.

She is Canadian. She ran into the same stupidness from doctors that I did. They know everything; you know nothing. But the worst I just read. She is receiving radiation for her cancer (at this point, they have only diagnosed uterine cancer and done a hysterectomy). A nurse is talking with her. Woodman is depressed. The nurse suggests she talk to a social worker. They can help with financial issues. Woodman doesn't have financial problems. Well, perhaps she should talk about her marriage since her husband doesn't come with her. Woodman explains why her husband doesn't accompany her. Well, perhaps she needs a community of support (at this point her house is full of flowering spring bulbs in the middle of winter from her friends). So the nurse asks why she is depressed.

She has cancer! She could die. Why would anyone not be depressed?

One line I loved. Woodman was explaining that her noncooperation was not directed at the nurse. She said, statistically, noncooperative patients do better than cooperative patients. I think I know the reason!

Yes, there are wonderful doctors and nurses. My primary care physician is one (maybe). But it is astonishing to me that the proportion of doctors who don't listen to patients, don't believe patients. I still wonder what happens to them or if they simply went to medical school for the money.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You do wonder what they were taught about human psychology.
Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine fears being labeled a difficult patient?

Joan Calvin said...

I didn't see that one. The second time I had chemo, the nurse couldn't get the iv needle into my vein (tried twice, then had to punch me again to get more blood for blood tests). I didn't want to say anything for fear the others would (consciously or unconsciously) take it out on me for criticizing their colleague.

Unknown said...

Oh, how awful!
Elaine tries to steal her file, because she doesn't want to get that reputation. I know I have been trying to be oh-so-good in my current medical situation; I think there is some childhood training involved there, as well as a hope to get the professionals to care about what happens to me.