Friday, July 4, 2008

Friday Five/RevGalBlogPals

From RevGalBlogPals For the Fourth of July

1. Barbeque's or picnics ( or are they essentially the same thing?)
Barbeque is something you eat. It is technically only chopped pork that has been slowly cooked with a vinegar (no tomatoes!) sauce. It is served with a barbeque sauce that is vinegar based (no tomatoes). The piquancy of the vinegar brings out the sweetness of the pork. Accompaniments are barbeque slaw (vinegar based dressing with tomato catsup and a bit of sugar and spices) and hush puppies (fried corn bread in small balls). Sweet tea is best with barbeque or if need be, really cold beer. Don't try to gussy this up with wine like some of the southerners who want to suck up to the Yankees moving south in NC. Picnics are basically social events where you take food to eat outside. Or a picnic can be the food itself.

2. The park/ the lake/ the beach or staying at home simply being?
Party at my house. But not this year. Cook out of some kind. Lots of cold beer.

3. Fireworks- love 'em or hate 'em?
Ohhh, I love fireworks. I just hate the crowds of getting there and leaving.

4. Parades- have you ever taken part- share a memory...
When I lived in Shaker Heights, I was in the parade all the time. First, in my much younger days, my son would decorate his trike and ride. Then he would march with the scouts. I'd usually be with the League of Women Voters or some mayoral or council candidate. I even got to march as a city council member for five years. (Yeah, the city actually elected me twice to serve on city council)

5. Time for a musical interlude- if you could sum up holidays in a piece of music what would it be?
Odd for a southerner and pacificist and anti-Apocolyticist, The Battle Hymn of the Republic

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
(Chorus)
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
While God is marching on.
And of course, anything from the musical 1776

13 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Um, Joan?

Love your definition of BBQ, which is totally different than mine in Texas? :) Love that!

Have a great day.

Terri said...

Yeah, your definition of BBQ is way different than mine...I guess i really mean "grilling" when I say BBQ - they've come to mean the same....

Have a fun day!

Muthah+ said...

Carolina BBQ is only a mere whisper of what real Texas BBQ is--it should be BEEF and BEEF Ribs!

Unknown said...

Belatedly, I love that verse, too. I'm almost sorry we aren't singing it today. (Almost.)

Terri said...

I'm introducing your blog on the Revgals Meet and Greet, Monday morning....Welcome, Joan!

Unknown said...

Can you believe we finally got all the snafus un-snaffed and have you in the Meet and Greet?

Iris said...

Welcome, Joan!

Mary Beth said...

hee hee, un-snaffed.

Makes me think of the Snuffleupagus.

Why?

I'm just weird that way.

Diane M. Roth said...

welcome! and I'm just learning to know the musical 1776, myself.

Deb said...

Yeah. BBQ. Gotta have that with sweettea (one word) :)

Welcome to RGBP!

grace eagle said...

Joan--I LOVE 1776 as well! It was the first play/musical I saw on Broadway and later I was part of a community theatre production of it...I have to watch it every year around the 4th, and annoy my family by singing all the songs...I think they may want to say to me "Sit down,John, sit down John, for God's sake John, sit down. Will someone shut that man up?!!" :-)

Jan said...

Welcome to RevGals!

Joan Calvin said...

Thanks for the welcomes!